1995-10-15 - Idea Futures

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 539f05feb563916f2027d70e7ac3f028f1a7eaa9573cfdb4be96f2717f5cc590
Message ID: <aca6045f180210043fe9@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Oct 95 00:26:07 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 95 00:26:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Idea Futures

At 3:03 PM 10/14/95, s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Dr. Frederick B. Cohen wrote:
>
>>       I have a better idea.  How about an open market in break-in
>> software.  We crack Netscape and offer the crack code to the highest
>> bidder.  Bids start at US$25K per hole.  For the insult, Netscape has to
>> outbid the competition by a factor of 2 to get the details of the hole.
>> Here's how it works:
>>
>Funny that you mention it, the other mailing list (or rather set of lists)
>I'm on is devoted to a just such market system. The Idea Futures home page
>is at http://if.arc.ab.ca/~jamesm/IF/IF.shtml. You'll find a few familiar
>faces.

Robin Hanson, who developed (so far as I know) the modern focus on idea
futures, was an active Bay Area person. His interests parallel ours, and I
think he was on the CP list for a while back in '92.

(Some of his game theory simulations--on betting markets and
preference-revealing--were a main inspiration for the "Crypto Anarchy Game"
I put on at the first Cypherpunks meeting in '92.)

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.