1995-10-19 - PGPfone and (?) boxes

Header Data

From: Alan Patterson <lep@tanju.wsnet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7737f7c407016f8bc78bce3f70242e106e3ed55800a753c8f695dabf961e4320
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.951019183426.1453A-100000@tanju.wsnet.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Oct 95 16:42:21 PDT

Raw message

From: Alan Patterson <lep@tanju.wsnet.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 95 16:42:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGPfone and (?) boxes

A couple of months ago, the release of PGPfone got the list started on
hardware alternatives to PTN encryption... An associate of mine recently
returned from the Consumer Electronics show in Hong Kong and broght me a
lot of stuff including a flyer for a telephone scrambler.

From the flyer:

Secure your telephone conversations through high-tech scrambling.

Never again be concerned with eavesdroppers!

With our state of the art Telephone Scrambler you can now discuss
confidential business and/or personal matters over the public telephone
network without worrying about eavesdroppers. This compact and easy to
install unit renders taps and monitors useless by way of rolling code
encryption. Eavesdroppers will hear nothing but gibberish, ensuring
complete privacy for all your telephone conversations. The Telephone
Scrambler allows you to set your own unique code ensuring that only you
and the party that you are speaking with can decode the conversation. Two
units are required -- one for each end of the conversation.

Features:

o One-touch scrambling
o Thousands of key combinations
o "Rollig code" scrambling
o Works with Tone or Pulse
o Easy connection
o LED display
o FCC registered
o Compact and Portable

Specifications:

Power: 12 VDC
Dimensions: 5 1/2" X 3" X 1"
Weight: 6 oz
PTN Connection: USOC TJ-11C
Keys: 2^12

Company is:

P3 Personal Protection Products
405 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10022
(212) 421-4757
(212) 421-5024 Fax

Well, in itself it isn't very impressive. However, I plan on giving them
a call tomorrow and check prices. If they aren't that bad I'll get one
and pull it apart. Perhaps it can be at least reprogrammed for more keys
and another encryption algo. Hell, at 2^12 keys, all it takes is a few
seconds to find which one the conversation is using.

Alan Patterson (lep@wsnet.com)        Fngpt: 41D0F61B496FECC09FABECF686AB2A1C
WSNetwork Communications Services, Inc.         PGP Encrypted Email Preferred
Montgomery, Alabama (334) 263-5505 (800) INET-750  Public Key @ MIT keyserver

Thread