1995-10-09 - Re: Netscape 2.0 beta

Header Data

From: patrick@Verity.COM (Patrick Horgan)
To: schampeo@imonics.com
Message Hash: 7d1ed4cb57af49318ff197f82eedbaf0350d069ea61005a1a7fcf56a69f5e92c
Message ID: <9510090607.AA02381@cantina.verity.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 8 Oct 95 23:11:26 PDT

Raw message

From: patrick@Verity.COM (Patrick Horgan)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 95 23:11:26 PDT
To: schampeo@imonics.com
Subject: Re: Netscape 2.0 beta

Steven Champeon said:

> One thing that I found with the newsreader was that it doesn't
> do POP correctly. No matter what you do with your mail, it still
> doesn't check for read vs. unread articles. This is fine when you
> have a mailbox with one message. It can be annoying when you have
> 110 messages in your mailbox and don't want to 1) delete them or
> 2) download them twice.

Neither pop 2 nor pop 3 tell you whether you've read a message or not.
pop 2 does bump up the current number with an ACKS, but if you move around
with READ n, then that's useless.  pop 3 doesn't do that.

I just reread the rfcs to make sure that I wasn't missing anything,
(RFC 1725: Post Office Protocol - Version 3, RFC 937: Post Office Protocol -
Version 2).  Am I missing something?

Patrick
  /  These opinions are mine, and not Verity's (except by coincidence;).  \
 |  Patrick J. Horgan         Verity Inc.                 \\    Have       |
 |  patrick@verity.com        1550 Plymouth Street         \\  _ Sword     |
 |  Phone : (415)960-7600     Mountain View                 \\/    Will    |
 |  FAX   : (415)960-7750     California 94303             _/\\     Travel |

Thread