1995-10-10 - Re: PC disk wipe software

Header Data

From: Mark <mark@lochard.com.au>
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: 7e6b0ab39529c23d9d341860f908d6eebff9130b284018f71e976406cfd039f0
Message ID: <199510092317.AA44641@junkers.lochard.com.au>
Reply To: <199510091318.JAA24166@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-10 02:00:06 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 19:00:06 PDT

Raw message

From: Mark <mark@lochard.com.au>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 19:00:06 PDT
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: PC disk wipe software

>I thought I'd ask here, since its related to a lot of the stuff people
>have written for the PC platform in these parts. I need to securely
>wipe a bunch of data from an MS-DOS hard drive, so that it can't be
>recovered. Are there any readily available utilities for this? Will
>any of them selectively erase only data that isn't allocated to
>existing files?

Archive data off to tape, low level format drive using the bios hd utils,
reformat drive, restore data. I find the non graphical AMI bios very useful
for this.

Doing anything else fails to remove the old data on partially used but valid
blocks.

Cheers,
Mark

Thread