1995-10-14 - DSS patent license

Header Data

From: rschlafly@attmail.com (Roger Schlafly)
To: eli@UX3.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
Message Hash: 8570d9bf6a01cb32d83da6ae13b11f8a04b9d05ec77304050916f16d5ecfe684
Message ID: <rschlafly2871855540>
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Oct 95 11:56:14 PDT

Raw message

From: rschlafly@attmail.com (Roger  Schlafly)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 95 11:56:14 PDT
To: eli@UX3.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: DSS patent license

>>> RSA Data Security, Inc.
>>> today announced that it is now licensing patents for the Digital Signature
>>> Standard (DSS), the U.S. government standard for digital signatures.
>>
>> I believe someone was suing the U.S. government on the grounds that the
>> public signature standard wasn't supposed to require proprietary
>> technology.  Has this gone anywhere yet?
>>
>> --
>>    Eli Brandt
>>    eli+@cs.cmu.edu

Yes, I had such a lawsuit.  No, it didn't go anywhere in the courts,
but the feds did eventually cave in to the principal demand of my
suit: That the DSA patent be made available to anyone on a royalty-free
basis.

So how is it that RSADSI and Cylink/CKC claim you need licenses to
their patents to use DSS?  Because they have other patents.  I have
another lawsuit directed at those patents.  Stay tuned.

Roger Schlafly
rschlafly@attmail.com

Thread