1995-10-09 - PC wipe utilities

Header Data

From: Brian D Williams <talon57@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8da562eabeb212b47c35fb506e45affd78a91a84113fda7d3ae901a1f9bfebea
Message ID: <199510091852.LAA14988@well.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 11:52:13 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian D Williams <talon57@well.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 11:52:13 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PC wipe utilities

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> asks:

>I thought I'd ask here, since its related to a lot of the stuff
>people have written for the PC platform in these parts. I need to
>securely wipe a bunch of data from an MS-DOS hard drive, so that
>it can't be recovered. Are there any readily available utilities
>for this? Will any of them selectively erase only data that isn't
>allocated to existing files?

>Perry

Alan Penny's  excellent freeware utility wipe.zip has been
uuencoded and sent to you. I believe it fulfills your requirements.

 As recently as the last issue of WIRED an article by a data
recovery company claimed they could recover data that had been
overwritten nine times...... make it a bakers dozen to be safe.

Brian D Williams

Thread