1995-10-24 - Mondex flaws? Re: Mark Twain Bank (was: Anonymity: A Modest Proposal)

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9211b7a9ae05bf02c00867e2c6b13ccdda51361df1526e46a5f5bc19771d7660
Message ID: <9510241433.AA21881@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <v02120d07acb1f3d69b57@[199.2.22.120]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-24 14:33:21 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 07:33:21 PDT

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 07:33:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Mondex flaws? Re: Mark Twain Bank (was: Anonymity: A Modest Proposal)

Hi,

	You mention architectural problems in Mondex. Do you have any hard info
on the specs? I'm trying to find someone who does who is willing/able to talk.

	One thing that struck me was that each Mondi would need to have both the
secret and public parts of a public key incorporated (if thats what they are
doing) hence what is the advantage of public key? Yet they have an on chip
modular exponentiation device on the new silicon rev...

	Looking at the secrecy stuff on Mondex, I suspect I would take the same
approach, not to protect the core protection but so as to permit a gradual
approach to penetration detection. I would expect some type of tripwire to be
built into the device such that a fraud attempt apparently succeeds but
indicates that there is a problem.

		Phill

Thread