1995-10-09 - Re: PC disk wipe software

Header Data

From: dmandl@panix.com
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
Message Hash: a053cba2ce55ce17664d74d37b56bf81c4cb688bf680d357bce1ef208a8a7e29
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951009135607.26382B-100000@panix.com>
Reply To: <199510091318.JAA24166@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-09 17:59:21 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 10:59:21 PDT

Raw message

From: dmandl@panix.com
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 10:59:21 PDT
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Subject: Re: PC disk wipe software

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I thought I'd ask here, since its related to a lot of the stuff people
> have written for the PC platform in these parts. I need to securely
> wipe a bunch of data from an MS-DOS hard drive, so that it can't be
> recovered. Are there any readily available utilities for this? Will
> any of them selectively erase only data that isn't allocated to
> existing files?
>
> Perry

Norton Utilities has been able to do this for a long time.  I think
the program is called <wipedisk> (wipe "unused" area of a disk), and I
believe there's also a <wipefile> that will obliterate a file.  These
things are supposed to conform to some unspecified "government
guidelines," so you decide how good they are.  My guess is that
they're plenty good enough.

   --D.

--
Dave Mandl