1995-10-30 - Re: Keyed-MD5, ITAR, and HTTP-NG

Header Data

From: James Black <black@sunflash.eng.usf.edu>
To: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Message Hash: a3fd23692362defc1915424b05846fc03787efdb4a8e5cf8e88a603d15e8aa16
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951030134533.5999A-100000@sunflash.eng.usf.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.91.951030101221.319D-100000@chivalry>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-30 19:40:01 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 03:40:01 +0800

Raw message

From: James Black <black@sunflash.eng.usf.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 03:40:01 +0800
To: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Keyed-MD5, ITAR, and HTTP-NG

Hello,

On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, Simon Spero wrote:

> The reason I wanted to check is that I'm solidifying some of security
> paramaters for HTTP-NG so we can add them to the test implementation
> before the Dallas IETF. In addition to the slight problem of having half
> the development team on the other side of the Atlantic, I want to make at
> least a subset of the security schemes mandatory, and that means making
> the core stuff exportable.

  Since you deal with security issues maybe you can help me to learn
about some issues with encryption.  I am talking with one of the
administration people about putting PGP on the system for everyone to
use, but there are issues for them (the admin) as they might be liable,
even if they can't read the e-mail.  What other legal considerations
should be evaluated?
  Is there any large organizations (like any other universities) that
allow their students to use PGP, and have the system in place to make it
easier for the students?  If it is offered here I might be the one to add
to the mail program (pine) that is generally used to transparently use
PGP, which is what I mean by having a system set up for the encryption.
  Thanx for any help.  Take care and have fun.

James Black
black@suntan.eng.usf.edu

Thread