1995-10-04 - Re: Netscape hole without .Xauthority (fwd)

Header Data

From: rthomas@pamd.cig.mot.com (Robert Owen Thomas)
To: Christian Wettergren <cwe@it.kth.se>
Message Hash: a8e9d0fda2920b05fc4a7a56698c54b42c18397c392b3bbd4792060c6e8977e3
Message ID: <9510040947.ZM16462@pamd.cig.mot.com>
Reply To: <199510041102.MAA17689@piraya.electrum.kth.se>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-04 14:50:54 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 07:50:54 PDT

Raw message

From: rthomas@pamd.cig.mot.com (Robert Owen Thomas)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 07:50:54 PDT
To: Christian Wettergren <cwe@it.kth.se>
Subject: Re: Netscape hole without .Xauthority (fwd)

good points, Christian!

more and more, networks are becoming flooded with X traffic.  although X
has always been known to be a potential security hole, i think X-attacks
are going to increase dramatically in the coming months.

i commonly hear of sights with Xauthority enabled, only to have the user
community type "xhost +" at the prompt.  bad karma.  the days of pumping
rude & crass noises to someone else's workstation will soon graduate to
more nefarious and insidious attacks.

is anyone looking into a means of securing X (above and beyond the current
weak solutions)?

regards,
--robert
--

o  robert owen thomas: unix consultant. cymro ydw i. user scratching post.  o
o       e-mail: Robert.Thomas@pamd.cig.mot.com --or-- robt@cymru.com        o

Thread