1995-10-18 - Re: DalSemi: Add-Only Memory for Storage of Digital Cash

Header Data

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
To: s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca
Message Hash: bd6d8095950adfe73f1b287136344cbc394a3902335c707d643ef784a7985afe
Message ID: <199510181530.LAA00339@universe.digex.net>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9510172053.A73291-0100000@aix2.uottawa.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-18 15:32:30 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 08:32:30 PDT

Raw message

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@universe.digex.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 08:32:30 PDT
To: s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca
Subject: Re: DalSemi: Add-Only Memory for Storage of Digital Cash

s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca writes:
>On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, Scott Brickner wrote:
>
>> Nathan Loofbourrow writes:
>> >And there's another item of note: each chip has a unique, etched,
>> >machine-readable serial number. What are the bets that Dallas
>> >Semiconductor can tell you who purchased that chip? Well, so much for
>> >an anonymous payment scheme based on *this* product.
>>
>> Some enterprising cypherpunks can buy a bunch and resell 'em for cash.
>>
>And then sell the serial address for cash.
>How do I know that they (this means YOU! :> ) don't work for the company?
>(which is a contracter for, blackmail-victim of, tentacle of NSA, CSE,
>TCMAY, Purplenet, your fairy-stepmother ...)

Big deal.  NSA now knows "someone bought address X".

That's the great thing about cash you know... anonymity.

Thread