1995-10-13 - Re: Anguilla Cypherpunks Meeting

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c4844ea70921fd8f151d9694c820a449bfe634017338ef0e6b5e1c2c265f7214
Message ID: <aca444bd1102100414dd@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 16:34:53 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 16:34:53 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anguilla Cypherpunks Meeting

At 3:41 PM 10/13/95, s1018954@aix2.uottawa.ca wrote:
>Really? I thought except for incomes taxes, US laws only apply in American
>territory as opposed to applying to American people wherever they are (as
>I heard Germany's does).

It depends on what is meant by "outside the country." The law forbidding
travel to Cuba, for example, is not enforced by U.S. cops outside the
country, but upon reentry to the U.S. Ditto for other laws, such as those
affecting aid and support of countries we don't like, and the laws about
trading with the enemy.

>What if you were a dual citizen (US/Canada in my case)?

For the purposes of crypto laws (and many other laws, truth be told),
Canada is treated as a smallish northern state in the U.S.

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.