1995-10-23 - Re: Anonymity: A Modest Proposal

Header Data

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Message Hash: c82a7ab6071231346e7633b05727615a6245c40cdcee153cb0b98cb1942d63f5
Message ID: <199510232235.SAA26441@opine.cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <acb027040402100417fa@[137.110.24.250]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-23 22:45:03 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 15:45:03 PDT

Raw message

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 15:45:03 PDT
Subject: Re: Anonymity: A Modest Proposal

Lance Cottrell writes:
> I think one solution to this problem is to encourage (require) the use of
> pseudonym servers. Having a server like alpha as the entity on the from
> line has several advantages.
>
> 1) Less Spam since it takes some effort to set up the nym and it will be
> taken away as soon as the spam starts.

I fear this will be a short-lived gain. User-friendly scripts for
establishing pseudonymous accounts are pretty easy to write. They may be
beyond the average Fast Money Maker, but I expect myself and others will be
putting them out on the Net for general consumption.

I can certainly imagine one of those scripts being expanded to automatically
create salesdroid001@nymsrus.org, ..., salesdroid999@nymsrus.org and emitting
the same spam once from each pseudonym to a different destination. You would
want to apply a statistical spam filter (of the kind mentioned recently by
Greg Broiles) to the entire output of each pseudonymizer in an attempt to
nip such spams in the bud.

Semi-permanent account status confers privileges to the user, IMHO. I
believe a pseudonymous account ideally should be treated the same as a
regular account on an ISP. For example, an admin will not unilaterally close
an account upon receiving a single complaint about the account user.
Certainly I don't know of an ISP that routinely blocks its users' accounts
from sending mail to selected other accounts. Lest I seem too presumptuous,
let me say that I realize all immediately foreseeable pseudonymizers are
free services. Clearly these service providers can set whatever policies they
wish, and are not directly competing with the fee-charging ISPs. Perhaps
future fee-charging pseudonymizers will consider these criteria in offering
enhanced services.

-Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

Thread