1995-10-06 - Re: subjective names and MITM

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dcd4865bd9bc1c0d3556c3aa8732e7d7afb1ab99a582c1aa206db4d0eeb0d878
Message ID: <ac9b0caf2d0210048576@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 16:43:55 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 16:43:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: subjective names and MITM

At 10:36 PM 10/6/95, Scott Brickner wrote:

>I'm not an expert here, but I understand the "well-known methods" to
>essentially use some formula that "tends" to generate prime numbers from
>uniformly distributed numbers, feed it a "good" random number, and then
>check to see if it's really prime.  If it's not, pick another "good"
>random number and try again.  The entropy in the prime is the same
>as in the random number generator.

The commonly used method is to generate a random number, then interate up
(or down, it doesn't matter), testing each number in turn for primality.
One doesn't have to test too many numbers to find a prime, as I explained
in my last post.

It is indeed true that the entropy or randomness lies in the selection of
the random number that one starts searching from.

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.