1995-10-02 - Re: Netscape and privacy

Header Data

From: Michael Froomkin <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
To: Jon Mittelhauser <jonm@netscape.com>
Message Hash: dd0cd015f7eea15b10f6f8b8c463516591893486a99e9afdd6c704ac5e48c502
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951001214318.15739I-100000@viper.law.miami.edu>
Reply To: <44fin4$rdq@tera.mcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-02 01:46:29 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Oct 95 18:46:29 PDT

Raw message

From: Michael Froomkin <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 95 18:46:29 PDT
To: Jon Mittelhauser <jonm@netscape.com>
Subject: Re: Netscape and privacy

With all respect to you and to Netscape (I am one who thinks that the
Netscape participation on this list has reflected very well on the
participants and the company), I think that the reply "we only collect IP
addresses" is not fully responsive to the issue.  While I recognize that
there are implementations that assign a new IP address to every login, I
understand the current norm to be static IP addresses.  I sure have one.
Thus, if you keep a file of my IP address, and a fact about that address,
you have a database that can be purchased and correllated with another DB,
which links IP to somehting else, eg telephone numbers (perhaps from a
contest run on the internet?).  Pretty soon we are at serious
profiling....

****   PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS: froomkin@law.miami.edu  *********

A. Michael Froomkin        | +1 (305) 284-4285; +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)
Associate Professor of Law |
U. Miami School of Law     | froomkin@law.miami.edu
P.O. Box 248087            | http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin
Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA | New address, but it's still just as hot here.

Thread