1995-10-10 - Re: Distributed co-operative theorem proving, anyone? - was Java

Header Data

From: Aleph One <aleph1@dfw.net>
To: “Dr. Frederick B. Cohen” <fc@all.net>
Message Hash: e9fc4b77f4a9e5a591bbf856ade65a1661fcb8dec4a2cd08b00d5fd4ce8ea18b
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.90.951009211225.21188A-100000@dfw.net>
Reply To: <9510100110.AA25989@all.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-10-10 02:24:06 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 19:24:06 PDT

Raw message

From: Aleph One <aleph1@dfw.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 19:24:06 PDT
To: "Dr. Frederick B. Cohen" <fc@all.net>
Subject: Re: Distributed co-operative theorem proving, anyone? - was Java

Aleph One / aleph1@dfw.net
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Dr. Frederick B. Cohen wrote:

> The core dumping shows that Java can ALSO write files into the file
> system, something it was claimed to NEVER be able to do! If you could
> get the right name for the core file, and set up the first few bytes
> right, ...

Please stop and go read the documentation and papers off sun's web site.
Who ever said that Java cant write to file are not in their right mind.
Those who belive it are more so. Java is a programming language. It can
certanly write to files. Now whatever an interpreter (in this case called
by HotJava or Netscape ) allows the application to do is another thing.
You can as well distribute binary C programms but before running them
try to examine it to see if access the filesystem. (You might even hack
your kernel or libraries to stop any process with certain flag from doing
so). Java just makes this easier. You can even set up the HotJava browser
to do no security check at all. All depends in the security model you choose.
Dito for net connections or anything else.

Now if all of you would please go use the product or learn more about it
before bashing it I would not have to waste my time reaplying to this.

> Why not start much simpler.  Write a Java program to disrupt services by
> flooding the local network with garbage packets - or with some sort of
> request it lets you write. How about a Java program that launches SATAN
> probes against all reachable hosts?

See about. Read the hotjava man page.

Thread