1995-10-06 - Re: Rethinking the utility of netnews “cancel” control messages

Header Data

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@osf.org>
To: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f181db3d2733d01b19cea2e10788c7d1d79ecaa6a7da3498cd597c7f2bfc4d09
Message ID: <9510060045.AA17061@sulphur.osf.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Oct 95 17:45:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@osf.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 95 17:45:57 PDT
To: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Rethinking the utility of netnews "cancel" control messages

>Look just replace "cancel" with "mark as worthless and sign".  Then

No.

Replace cancel with
	1.  Legal wants you to destroy this document
	2.  The site security officer wants you to destroy the document
	3.  The license has expired and you must destroy the document
and so on.  I don't think my life has been all that interesting, but
I've had all of those things happen.

Of course there is no guarnatee that indiviuals don't have private
copies, etc., but you have this situation currently and it works.
Replacing cancel with setaside makes Usenet architecture useful for
many business semantics/requirements.  That's not something I'm willing to
trade away and I am surprised that others would...

	/r$

Thread