1995-10-24 - Hacking commercial systems.

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f9375b8d4543f02c73c6c7b8e1a231af3112ea92660102953658b2cdf9b7d882
Message ID: <9510241417.AA26593@zorch.w3.org>
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 07:17:43 PDT

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 07:17:43 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hacking commercial systems.

Hi,

	A number of people have been proposing hacks on commercial payment
systems. Could I point out that this is not necessarily a good idea? One vendor
I spoke to has a contract clause with sublicensees which requires a legal
response in such situations. His opinion was that attempting such a crack on a
"live" system consitituted conspiracy to commit fraud and organisation of the
same could involve RICO penalties.

	It would seem prudent to approach such projects with a little caution.
If a request were made for a sample of material to work on most companies would
oblige and a refusal would provide protection against legal tactics. Most
sensible companies would see the advantage of offering a reward.

		Phill

Thread