1995-11-01 - Re: US government department for crime enforcement!

Header Data

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 18e105f2285e15b81cab0c80884b8883f88d7cd790d8818776f873271ffb4233
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9511011736.B46528-0100000@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca>
Reply To: <199511011440.GAA23008@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-01 23:31:40 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 07:31:40 +0800

Raw message

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 07:31:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: US government department for crime enforcement!

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995 anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com wrote:

> It's come to my attention that the US government has a group
> called the 'Department of the Treasury Financial Crimes
> Enforcement Network' in Vienna, Virginia.

Yeah, in case you're interested, Anon, Wired had an article on them,
I think in 1.2, the cypherpunks issue. It might also be in their privacy
archive. Fincen has webpages at
www.ustreas.gov/treasury/bureaus/fincen/fincen.html

The agency is pretty much an alternative to the IRS's crumbling computers
and a nice cover for possibly unapproved interagency cooperation.
Look up some recent posts by Douglas Barnes on a banking conference.

Sorry to repeat what's been said here a zillion times before.

This account is a remailer for bad terminal servers. The above opinions are
entirely the result of line noise. @#$#@$~%?!!

Thread