1995-11-09 - [Sci-Fi] Re: expiration dates on cryptography

Header Data

From: “Richard Martin” <rmartin@aw.sgi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 210bf7d80d319447465d706d461a72ed3089520a78dd2c307e1adcb69ac859ac
Message ID: <9511081824.ZM25431@glacius.alias.com>
Reply To: <acc62dde07021004cd59@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-09 19:04:09 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 03:04:09 +0800

Raw message

From: "Richard Martin" <rmartin@aw.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 03:04:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [Sci-Fi] Re: expiration dates on cryptography

For methods of jiggering physical clocks, one might eventually reach the
stage of attempting to have physically unjiggable clocks. [Well, theoretically
unjiggable, just as our hideously huge composites are thought unfactorable
by computability arguments.]

Example:
I have a piece of information which I wish to remain secret until a well-
defined date in the future. I encrypt it then lob a package containing
the information into a well-defined and predictable trajectory which will
cause it to intersect the earth's trajector at that time [or shortly
thereafter]. I would [guess, hope, no, I haven't sat here and calculated]
that there should exist possible systems where beyond an initial period of
about a week, there would be no earthly technology capable of catching
up with the packet.

Alright, so it's hideously expensive. But you could put a lot of information
into one packet. Apollo Assured Archiving could have fixed rates per megabyte,
with regular [monthly?] launches into reliable orbits. At which point the
joy becomes making sure there aren't packet-catching bases on the far
side of Mercury... [with the mind control lasers, of course]

frodo

--
Richard Martin
Alias|Wavefront - Toronto Office [Co-op Software Developer, Games Team]

Thread