1995-11-30 - Re: e-cash gambling

Header Data

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3b450434bc9c7deeba813c464c9a843cd6bc3e2bcb84bd3c28836d68cfb88c5d
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9511301102.A24799-0100000@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca>
Reply To: <199511301536.QAA25670@utopia.hacktic.nl>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-30 17:02:52 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 01:02:52 +0800

Raw message

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 01:02:52 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: e-cash gambling

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Anonymous wrote:

> I would like to see e-cash gambling on US Presidential elections/primaries
> [as is currently done in London & Moscow]. There was an interesting W$J
> article that pointed out how the odds in these gambling houses track the
> results of elections more accurately (from thousands of miles away) than
> Gallup & Roper ever have, (and without calling me at suppertime)<g>. The

Idea Futures. (This has already been mentioned in this thread)
There is an outfit calling itself Ideosphere that is planning a
commercial version of an Idea Futures. It is certainly fairer than online
roulette. You might want to try the game out yourself. Dr. Froomkin has a
link to it on his homepage (I think).

> It would accomplish the cypherpunk goals of setting important information
> free through use of our technology, it would encourage gamblers to learn
> about strong crypto, and it would use crypto for something besides child
> porn or drugs, which will be good PR for us. There will, of course, be

Incidentally there are a lot of crypto related claims being played (which
is natural considering the number of cpunks in the game).

Thread