1995-11-27 - Re: [NOISE] Chi Sun Times SS# Sweepstakes

Header Data

From: “Lynne L. Harrison” <lharrison@mhv.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4099eeab362d03bfae48f8efe9c5354ab517fe69ab33c0fc7678c8a3d4572697
Message ID: <9511271738.AA28149@mhv.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 01:51:27 +0800

Raw message

From: "Lynne L. Harrison" <lharrison@mhv.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 01:51:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Chi Sun Times SS# Sweepstakes

At 10:54 AM 11/27/95 -0600, Alex Strasheim wrote:
>The Chicago Sun-Times is running a contest in which readers are asked to
>send in their social security numbers.  Someone will win a cash prize
>after a random drawing.
>
>I can't figure out the angle on this.  If they simply want to run a
>promotional contest, why are they asking for ssn's?  If there's an
>ulterior motive, what is it?  Are they going to sell the list?  Would they
>have a use for it themselves?

Alex -

  There may be *an ulterior motive* of getting the person's ssn, i.e., for
the purpose of the newspaper (and the winner) reporting winnings to IRS.  In
addition, the newspaper may also feel that, in selecting a 10-digit number,
it probably will not repeat such as someone's birthdate.  Personally, I lean
towards the former.

>The frustrating thing is that there are probably many millions of
>Americans who will give away the keys to the store for next to nothing.
>The feds probably made a tactical error:  instead of trying to force
>mandatory key escrow down our throats, they ought to have offered everyone
>who is willing to submit to voluntary escrow a chance to win a Chrysler
>Minivan.

  I agree with you.  I believe *greed* is the operating word....

Regards-
Lynne

Lynne L. Harrison, Esq.   |     "The key to life:
Poughkeepsie, New York    |      - Get up;
E-mail:                   |      - Survive;
lharrison@mhv.net         |      - Go to bed."