1995-11-24 - Re: Spam the Sign!

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Jeff Simmons <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 58de615bc0922ba58c9f0b32cedd3472ebb93229ba6577fd43987264a665b42a
Message ID: <199511240423.UAA25467@blob.best.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 18:19:05 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 18:19:05 +0800
To: Jeff Simmons <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Spam the Sign!

At 04:02 PM 11/22/95 -0800, Jeff Simmons wrote:

> and yet the people with the [balls]
> to actually challenge it aren't the big companies who stand to gain the
> most financially, it's a bunch of guys (a lot of whom hang around here
> sometimes) who are successfully giving away 'export controlled' software,

If you have looked at court cases recently, you will notice
that most juries will find a corporation guilty of anything,
no matter how absurd.  At a gut level they feel that the
pursuit of profit is itself a crime, and that the pursuit
of profit in an organized group is a flagrant and terrible
crime, deserving of the most savage punishment, unless that
pursuit has been thoroughly and carefully supervised and
authorized by the state.

They are much more reluctant to punish an individual, which is why
the government wants to keep Phil in permanent legal limbo.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread