1995-11-29 - Re: key for Alice as promised (not)

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Message Hash: 5ace9aa67bf0456a576773001597f049854d397ea1fa1c15c8ea4443fa02977f
Message ID: <199511291558.KAA15623@homeport.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:08:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:08:09 +0800
Subject: Re: key for Alice as promised (not)

> > >Can you imagine??  I'm simply not willing to fool myself into thinking
> > >that I ahve security by posting a key and using PGP.
> >
> > Unless you can post some proof that PGP is insecure, stop insisting it is.
>
> PGP is really not the issue.  The issue is more my security and the
> environment that I use PGP in.  I don't have a trusted machine to run PGP
> on.  Anyone who wants to can come up to machine and copy my secret keyring
> or they can even watch me typing my password in.

	Threat, please??  Do people often stand over your shoulder as
you type?  Enter your office, point guns at you, and take a backup of
your entire computer?  Have you considered putting the secret keyring
on a floppy and locking it in your desk/safe when you're not actually
in the office? (Or home..)

> So, I don't fool myself, and I don't use PGP, except for things like
> exchanging a one-time pad with someone when I've already sent the message
> out across another delivery mechanism, like on a floppy delivered my
> courier.

	I don't follow.  You're claiming that PGP is good enough to
transfer OTPads, but not good enough to sign pseudononymous messages?

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread