1995-11-03 - Re: ecash remailer

Header Data

From: Laurent Demailly <dl@hplyot.obspm.fr>
To: hallam@w3.org
Message Hash: 5e84eef9e952f63c0a5f41cb3017c4866803b8a8a3a405f90605dc1ffb4cd541
Message ID: <9511022349.AA01867@hplyot.obspm.fr>
Reply To: <9511021209.ZM7820@morgan.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-03 02:11:43 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 10:11:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Laurent Demailly <dl@hplyot.obspm.fr>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 10:11:43 +0800
To: hallam@w3.org
Subject: Re: ecash remailer

hallam@w3.org writes:

 > >So, refuse to buy their money.
 > >Demand open systems.
 > One problem a number of people have reported in DigiCash is disappearing
 > money. Several people have reported that if a transfer is misconfigured
 > the cash can flow out of the wallet, be rejected at the other end and
 > disappear from the system - i.e. misprinted names on cheques mean lost cash!
No. please get first hand facts. I have 'laundered' more than e$
18000, by small amounts of a couple of e$, and *no* bucks were lost(1). I
do have to manually cancel some and to refund ppl from time to time,
and i must admit I'm a bit behind my mail answering about that... but
the money is *not* lost [for everybody]
 > This is bad and they report that Digicash did not respond to their
 > complaints.

They prolly addresses the complaints to the wrong ppl, money does not
disapear as long as you keep the log files to be able to "cancel"
'lost' ebucks

There are/were a couple of small problems with the ecash software, but
no money is lost, as long as you have a consistent file system
[and I think they are working on an "auto recovery/auto cancel"
feature...]

note that there are some problems, initially the proposed shop
software sucked for instance... and writing a better one was a key to
get the system better, maybe it is a bit too early for real bank
also... I think some bugs are still hanging around... but the idea is
great ! [i just wish to have sources/protocol fully disclosed before I
put real money in it...]

ps : I have no interest in digicash whatsoever except being partipant
to the trial and having a small shop {and thus having an fairly large
account ;-)  I wish they give prices to 'good' shops ;-0)}

note1: at least I think no bucks were lost... not a high percentage at
least,... I did had some troubles with the first software version and
managed to *almost* lost stuff, my mismanipulation... but hey... if
your wallet has an hole, of if you throw away your money, you won't
whine to the ATM, would you ?

dl
--
Laurent Demailly * http://hplyot.obspm.fr/~dl/ * Linux|PGP|Gnu|Tcl|...  Freedom
Prime#1: cent cinq mille cent cinq milliards cent cinq mille cent soixante sept

cryptographic PLO Legion of Doom explosion Cocaine Castro Croatian

Thread