1995-11-03 - Re: Sources of randomness

Header Data

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
To: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Message Hash: 63ee3a6d77b3f3d86aa8cddba8350ed5833f75e2ac16734bae87bb737df1851f
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.951103102756.19997B-100000@use.usit.net>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9511030915.B49857-0100000@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-03 16:30:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 00:30:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 00:30:23 +0800
To: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Subject: Re: Sources of randomness

On Fri, 3 Nov 1995 s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > I'll stick to recommending radioactive sources for now. Quantum
> > mechanics is your friend, and detectors from places like Aware are
> > cheap.
> What prices have you got listed? Is the equipment sensitive enough to get
> lots of entropy from a normal environment or do you need artificial sources
> of radioactivity? (easy, safe and cheap enough to get?)

Safe, easy-to-obtain gamma sources:  orange fiesta-ware pottery (at flea
markets), old-style Coleman lantern mantles (not sure about the new
ones), uranium-ore "health pillows" (Sunshine Mine, 408-225-3670).

-bd

> Got any clues on random bits vs. time?
>
> Someone said this was discussed before, I caught the thread on the
> detector being listed but not any discussion of the product itself. Could
> anyone post an approx date so I could go look it up on the archive?
> Gracias.
> Interesting stuff.

Thread