1995-11-07 - Re: Exporting software doesn’t mean exporting (was: Re: lp ?)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: hallam@w3.org
Message Hash: 747c77c24778c123cd779a1a69bd4ceaf361e1014b85d63cb3bc1bf2914f1aff
Message ID: <199511070400.XAA14905@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <9511070341.AA15892@zorch.w3.org>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-07 14:31:08 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 22:31:08 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 22:31:08 +0800
To: hallam@w3.org
Subject: Re: Exporting software doesn't mean exporting (was: Re: lp ?)

hallam@w3.org writes:
> One of the many problems in Perry's approach is that an international treaty
> is in essence a contract between governments.

Were that the case, citizens couldn't sue to have provisions impacting
them enforced, but the fact of the matter is that they can.

> Perry's somewhat offensive language is not a substitute for an argument.

Thank you for the ad hominem.

> I think I would take Perry's disbelief that a person is a lawyer becuse
> he disagrees with him as reflecting more on Perry than anyone else.

I'm not entirely sure that the international telecoms treaties cover
this, but both the gentleman I was conversing with and I appeared to
have assumed for purposes of discussion that they did. Given that, the
notion that international telecoms treaties are superceeded by the
ITARs does indeed give one pause to wonder.

Perry

Thread