1995-11-22 - Re: Java & Netscape security [NOISE]

Header Data

From: hallam@w3.org
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 78b7919a3103fe675bbfc4f88ccc23508f31d87375d25634d9967928d3c80bba
Message ID: <9511220545.AA01344@zorch.w3.org>
Reply To: <yo9XeD2w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-22 05:45:56 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Nov 95 21:45:56 PST

Raw message

From: hallam@w3.org
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 95 21:45:56 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Java & Netscape security [NOISE]

I'm not sure where the policy of whether posts from foo.com should be
considered policy of foo.com but they certainly are considered in that
manner.

Rather than have this discussion here how about people read up the threat in
Hal Abelson's course on Ethics of the Electronic frontier?

http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/6095/on-line-discussion/topic-1/

One point to be made is that at Universities we all have university accounts
because people realise that there is no connection between our views and
institute policy. The freedom to hold unpopular views being part of what
universities are all about. On the other hand there is no such assuption
concerning posts from foo.com.

I suspect that even in the UK one could sack an employee for making stupid
statements from an Internet account. Particularly if they might lead a person to
doubt the sanity of the person concerned.

On Phil Stromer, I don't think the Internet posts were the only point at issue.
He was very offensive however, it was not merely the views he posted but the
manner in which he made them that caused offense. He also made a lot of
assertions concerning other posters which might have led to legal action
against Sun.

	Phill

Thread