1995-11-07 - Re: consumer products that make nice sources

Header Data

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 80c4c2e04a724d8399c6be86ab42e671dedd8ae9141407e3ce5186f0fba28e51
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.951106233235.10925A-100000@use.usit.net>
Reply To: <acc00caf110210040ee2@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-07 06:59:04 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 14:59:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 14:59:04 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: consumer products that make nice sources

On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:

> I'd say they make poor sources. Far too large. A smaller source has better
> access to the detector without adding much to the overall background the
> user is exposed to. (I'm not saying low-level uranium or thorium sources
> are much of a hazard, but the fluence presented at the detector is very low
> for such an extended source.)
>
> It depends on the detector type (alpha, beta, gamma, neutrino?), but high
> count rates can be obtained in a variety of ways. (Don't get too high a
> count rate, or the dead time characteristics of the pulse-height analyzers
> will introduce spurious correlations that decrease entropy--I mention this
> to show that even radiation detector sources of entropy have non-random
> issues to take into account.)

Gotta watch yourself around the physicist....

Most of the sources I mentioned are fairly anemic, however the Coleman
lantern mantles are pretty good beta emitters.  I can get count rates
approaching 1000 cpm on a tired GM tube detector with a beta window of
unknown thickness.

Brad D.

Thread