1995-11-09 - Re: Photuris Primality verification needed

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Message Hash: 8a61834ff8438a4e57a5bca04c9a0f3cb002e4d7826c93d1056dd1a1a08809b3
Message ID: <199511091430.JAA15324@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <199511090337.TAA04357@servo.qualcomm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-09 14:49:39 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 22:49:39 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 22:49:39 +0800
To: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Photuris Primality verification needed

Phil Karn writes:
> >I don't know.  Maybe the right thing to do is require conforming
> >implementations to support a large modulus but include recommended
> >smaller moduli.  Then Alice can always force Bob to use the large
> >modulus but, if both agree, they can use something smaller from the
> >standard or even their own home-grown modulus.
>
> Thanks. That's pretty much what we are doing -- requiring a particular
> 1024-bit modulus but recommending several others as options.

I think Brian is also suggesting that it would be good if people could
negotiate new and previously unheard of modulii if they wanted to.

Perry

Thread