1995-11-24 - Re: Virus attacks on PGP

Header Data

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
To: Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Message Hash: 93270ec22e6a86faf32d0046a41dcd416cf15c0a4fb60c4b016ea3dcf43ba3ae
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.951124152257.5757A-100000@micro.internexus.net>
Reply To: <“swan.cl.cam.:180670:951124195035”@cl.cam.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-24 20:39:43 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:39:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:39:43 +0800
To: Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Virus attacks on PGP

> > Where can one get PGP burnt into cdrom? Or the equiptment to do it
>
> If you can wait a while, TERENA (UKERNA, SURFnet, etc) are producing a PGP CD
> at the start of next year ...

Would PGP on CD-ROM truely gaurantee a corrupt/virus free executable? A
virus already running in memory could tamper with what it's doing,
perhaps extracting the necessary keys and dumping them to a log file.
This would be especially dangerous on a UNIX system where many people
might be using PGP, thinking it is secure.

I think the only way to be safe is to actually boot up off of the CD-ROM,
and hope that the hardware in your computer physically hasn't been
tampered with :)

Thread