1995-11-02 - Hit-and-Run Anonymous Posts (Re: “Dr.” Fred)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 98288d08ca39d90e3577b2336b91453d4387740b51915ae812f7114f5f19eb1c
Message ID: <acbcfdc702021004f4bd@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 11:43:17 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 11:43:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hit-and-Run Anonymous Posts (Re: "Dr." Fred)

Before someone corrects me:

I wrote:

"Exceptions are the cases when an anonymous source has something
"sensitive" to contribute, such as the release of the putative MD4 code,
and the like."

MD or RC4, I forget which it was. My point is that anonymity has been used
to post stuff like this (putatively), and that this is a "good" use of
anonymity. Good in the sense of being non-flamish, non-infantile.

(Not everyone thinks using anonymous posts to "liberate" intellectual
property is a "good" thing, but then I'm sure a lot of people don't think
it's good that the secrets of how to fix plumbing are written up in books
for all to read.)

--Tim May

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.