1995-11-06 - Re: Crypto++, Cpunk Icons, list noise

Header Data

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
To: “Dr. Frederick B. Cohen” <fc@all.net>
Message Hash: 99c54dbaad9e0893fee44ce762b2427b551e55213be0ff6321d2ca7e21307c20
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9511060841.B27224-0100000@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca>
Reply To: <9511061141.AA16901@all.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-06 13:58:57 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 21:58:57 +0800

Raw message

From: s1113645@tesla.cc.uottawa.ca
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 21:58:57 +0800
To: "Dr. Frederick B. Cohen" <fc@all.net>
Subject: Re: Crypto++, Cpunk Icons, list noise

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Dr. Frederick B. Cohen wrote:

> In the United States, we have the right to express whatever view we
> wish, so long as it doesn't endanger others (e.g., insight to riot,
> scream "fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire, etc.).
> Everyone has an inherent right to question why a person seeks moments of
> anonymity or privacy.

You're forgetting our good friends the libel laws. Another reason to go anon.
You have the right to say whatever you please, but you'll have to be able
to defend it in court if it damages someone's reputation. It can also get
you fired. (or shot if you're MLK)

This is why It'd be so nice to see more idiot-friendly remailer clients
on windoze, or even better Java (does Private Idaho support Mixmaster yet?).
The average person can really benefit from easy anonymity, otherwise they
won't bother and get in hot water.

Slander is in the eye of the beholder.

Thread