1995-11-04 - Re: using PGP only for digital signatures

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Message Hash: b1a4a0c0ad9091bd151a90efeb3385799272b50724577471d3d84fd36fe3bf64
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.951104151622.6970B-100000@chivalry>
Reply To: <199511042157.NAA09158@ihtfp.org>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-04 23:39:29 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 07:39:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 07:39:29 +0800
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: using PGP only for digital signatures

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, Derek Atkins wrote:

> student from coming to the US.  By allowing the student into the US,
> the gov't is implicitly giving them the right to use PGP within the
> US.

This is kind of a risky policy to take. The general feeling I get that
allowing non green-card holders access to strong cryptography is sort of
decriminalised, in that the police aren't likely to break down your door
and have your AFS server accidentaly fall down stairs. However, it is
still against the law, and could be used against the university in other
unrelated circumstances.

It seems that licences allowing foreign nationals access to cryptographic
software within the US are pretty easy to get, and especially for
something like PGP on a central machine.

Simon // My name is Spero, Simon Spero - licence to encrypt

Thread