1995-11-26 - Re: Virus attacks on PGP

Header Data

From: Doug Hughes <doug@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
To: “Mark M.” <markm@omni.voicenet.com>
Message Hash: cc1e9b77d4724c8cfd76760dd13a7aaffeaec24023ae616b841091eaa1b13712
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951126141155.15854B-100000@nexus.eng.auburn.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.951124222957.107A-100000@localhost>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-26 20:26:59 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:26:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Doug Hughes <doug@Eng.Auburn.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:26:59 +0800
To: "Mark M." <markm@omni.voicenet.com>
Subject: Re: Virus attacks on PGP

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Mark M. wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Moroni wrote:
>

> >     Where can one get PGP burnt into cdrom? Or the equiptment to do it
> >              Thanks in advance
> >                  moroni
> >

> I remember seeing in computer catalog a device that can burn data into a
> cdrom and it even supplies blank cd's.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember
> the name of the catalog.  It might have been _Tiger Software_ or some
> similar catalog.  I do know that the technology is available.

There was a recent review in network computing of about 60 or so
different CDROM recording devices. The cheapest one was about $500 from
Liberty. The most expensive was I think the one from Kodak, for about $20k.
The capabilities of each are different. Some include buffering, some don't.
However, the pre-mastering software used to make file systems on a CDROM
(HSFS, UFS, DOS, ISO-???? (forget that four digit number) is sold separately,
but generally not too expensive. There are also single and multi-session
CD 'burners'. The single session mean you have to do the entire disk in
one session, and generally if you mess up, you need a new disk. The multi-
session devices let you start a session, and pick it up with more information
at a later time.

Most of them are designed for multi-media or audio recording, but you can
generally get pre-mastering software that will work with something like
CD-XA.. etc..
 Check your software for compatibility before purchasing the hardware.

Doug Hughes					Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin  				Auburn University
			doug@eng.auburn.edu
		Pro is to Con as progress is to congress

Thread