1995-11-04 - Version 2 Elliptic Curve Crypto

Header Data

From: Mike Rosing <cryptech@mcs.net>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: e9010306f8fa2bf78ff3a91e62610cead98f9ca2adc51981a7ab29f4cd0c1dbd
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.951104165609.18788B-100000@Venus.mcs.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 07:21:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Mike Rosing <cryptech@mcs.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 07:21:11 +0800
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Version 2 Elliptic Curve Crypto

Howdy,

	I blew it the first time, but the correct elliptic.2.tar now sits
on ftp.csua.berkeley.edu/pub/cypherpunks/ciphers.  This version is twice
as fast as eliptic.tar.  A newer version of the elliptic.2.doc is being
fixed right now, the only difference with what is posted is a correct
reference to the CRYPTO '95 article on polynomial basis inversion.  Enjoy.

	For a compiled version on Sun or under Borland C++ contact Steve
Albrecht (eh@mcs.com).  He is in the process of setting up macros to get
this to compile under just about any unix system.  He's also fixed quite
a few bugs and is cleaning up a bunch of uninitialized data structures
that I didn't notice.  Last I heard it was working, so if you want to
play on a specific platform, contact Steve directly.

	Hilarie Orman from U. Arizona (one of the authors of the CRYPTO
'95 paper) thinks that calling elliptic curves "strong crypto" may be
over selling it.  I'm not enough of a mathematician to know how to argue,
but it seems to me that almost perfect random output is about as close to
strong crypto as one could get.  Security thru obscurity doesn't work,
elliptic curves are obscure and so far not studied to the same extent as
RSA or DES.  However, I'll make the claim that elliptic curves are
"strong crypto" until proven otherwise.

	Along those lines, does any one have a classic text to encrypt
for a plaintext/ciphertext challenge?  I'll put something together and
post it in the next few weeks.  I'll use the symmetric encryption
subroutine.  If there is any interest, should I put out a public key
challenge as well?  Note, I ain't rich, so only token prizes (like $50
ecash and $50 real for each challenge).  The point is to check if this is
credable crypto, that's all.

	E-mail replies to cryptech@mcs.com.  Thanks for reading this!

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike