1995-12-08 - Re: digital receipts and cash

Header Data

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Message Hash: 177eb8d5261c158fdd0f39fe99be1014a52df3013554b2e86eb85e45affa3b74
Message ID: <199512080947.EAA06459@opine.cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <199512010408.UAA04333@quito.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-08 09:46:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 01:46:38 PST

Raw message

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 01:46:38 PST
Subject: Re: digital receipts and cash

David Wagner writes:
> (Later, if the vendor reneges on the transaction, you'd have the digital
> receipt to prove that you paid & the vendor is cheating you.)
>
> This seems like it would be a really useful feature.  Does anyone know
> if there are any *practical* protocols to do this?
[...]
> ObCrypto relevance: I've looked through _Applied Cryptography_, but the
> protocols listed there aren't practical -- they require something like
> 100 rounds of interaction!  Can this be improved?

The Even/Goldreich/Lempel protocol (ACv1, pp.101-103) requires O(k) fairly
expensive operations (i.e. key generations, encryptions, network
transmissions) to guarantee honesty with probability p = 2^k. k = 100 is
suggested. Perhaps this protocol would be useful in many applications with
k << 100. It might be argued that k need only be about
O(lg(value(transaction))). I think k = 10 or 20 would be suitable for many
relatively low-value digital cash transactions. Waiting a bit longer to
arrange the purchase of a car over the net sounds tolerable to me.

I suppose you could precompute heaps of keys for use in unspecified future
transactions, which helps a bit.

It's hard to imagine circumventing the basic need for incremental increases
in trust, with a nontrivial cryptographic operation at each end in each
round. But hey, I certainly don't expect to prove that anytime soon.... :)

-Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

Thread