1995-12-18 - Re: Political Cleanup program

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Mike Ingle <inglem@adnetsol.com>
Message Hash: 24a62eec8aea02c7eff2ccc1513080e3c54ed05b66ae9931a3b4a0737aa22f0e
Message ID: <m0tRWax-00090aC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:26:14 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:26:14 +0800
To: Mike Ingle <inglem@adnetsol.com>
Subject: Re: Political Cleanup program

Well, I don't consider these two ideas mutually exclusive.  As I pointed out
to Detweiler (under his alias "Nuri") I'm happy to see the politicians
tortured before they are killed.

At 02:48 PM 12/17/95 -0800, you wrote:
>Good ideas, but you're getting soft. I liked the death lotto much better.
>
>							Mike
>
>> Politics is traditionally corrupt, it appears, because donors to politicians
>> and political campaigns expect a quid pro quo for their donations.  Various
>> unsatisfactory solutions include campaign spending limits, etc.
>>
>> It occurs to me that it would be a major advance if a system could be set up
>> that would "blind" campaign donations as to their source:  The donor could
>> be satisfied that his donation gets to the candidate or cause, but the
>> candidate couldn't know  who actually paid the money (and the donor would be
>> unable to prove that he made a donation, for example).  Admittedly there are
>> a lot of details that need to be worked out, but if this could be
>> accomplished it would change politics as we know it.

Thread