1995-12-23 - More developments in Karn vs State Dept

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: N/A
Message Hash: 24b5b08c0a0c8ec719e0dfc74920865fc94c108f481331c6feb13954ee9430db
Message ID: <30DB37B1.167EB0E7@qualcomm.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 08:00:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 08:00:21 +0800
Subject: More developments in Karn vs State Dept

I have been updating my web page almost daily with developments
in my case. The latest is that we've written and asked the Court
to accept a Supplementary Memorandum opposing the government's
motion to toss out our suit, and I've backed it up with a Supplementary
Declaration. In it I explain how I just found all of the
source code at issue (the Applied Cryptography diskette) on a public
FTP site in Italy. This took about 10 minutes using Netscape.

I then downloaded the Triple DES code referenced in the earlier
Declarations by NSA Deputy Director Crowell and myself in 1.7
seconds, adding that this is somewhat less time that it takes me
to move to my computer, insert a floppy disk and return to the keyboard.

The government is now asking the judge not to accept these latest
filings. Stay tuned!

The URL again is http://www.qualcomm.com/people/pkarn/export

Phil

Thread