1995-12-14 - Re: e-mail forwarding, for-pay remailers

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 2a6e0cf07f58d17d30c39ce5de557cbae73e6269e8e3bed02c9e7b3f7078b8d6
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.951214104824.5962B-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <199512140742.XAA06927@ix13.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-14 20:00:43 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:43 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: e-mail forwarding, for-pay remailers

On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, Bill Stewart wrote:

> <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com> wrote:
>
> >I believe C2.org already offers non-dialup access accounts, paid for
> >with ECash, that do not require a valid snail-address or phone-number.
> >I am sure that there will be many more to come.
>
> I suspect Sameer would be happy to open an account paid in advance in
> small unmarked bills.  AOL probably wouldn't.

AOL will, however, accept a bogus name, address, and credit card number
(as long as the checksum is correct) for the initial ten free hours plus
however long it takes for the first bill to bounce.

America "On Line" will also accept direct debits from an untraceable bank
account (for this they charge a little extra).

This is not to say that I have tried any of this (though I have), nor is
it to say that anything on AOL is worth your time anyway.

> Fortunately, the government
> hasn't really caught on to the importance of email, so they aren't requiring
> that email providers know where you really live.  I predict 1997 for that.

This promises to be an interesting legal fight.

-rich

Thread