1995-12-02 - Re: Info on Netscape’s key escrow position

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
To: “Dr. Frederick B. Cohen” <fc@all.net>
Message Hash: 2e9c372e9013db03e2bfca0f4c8bf687202c81ee3bdf8f1aa1e77b9a4c281fcc
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951202140947.1199C-100000@polaris.mindport.net>
Reply To: <9512021318.AA27932@all.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-02 19:25:10 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 03:25:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@polaris.mindport.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 03:25:10 +0800
To: "Dr. Frederick B. Cohen" <fc@all.net>
Subject: Re: Info on Netscape's key escrow position

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Dr. Frederick B. Cohen wrote:

> The point Netscape seems to miss is that by refusing to go with weak
> crypto and having the best product on the market, Netscape may be able
> to force these governments into a position of accepting it.

[...]

> The right move for Netscape is to improve crypto-security, to refuse to
> give in to government, and to publicly vilify the people in government
> who stand in their way.  When billions of dollars are at stake and the
> blame is placed squarely on the shoulders of a politician trying to
> claim economic improvements based on their policies, the politician is
> likely to yield.

"Gee, I dunno, that sounds like a lot of work, and well, I'm making good
dough.  Sure, it would be a boon for the company, and fit right in with
the mainstream perception that government way too involved in Joe
Random's life, and win or lose, either way it would be a major public
relations coup, and would restore the confidence of many foreign
customers concerned about U.S. economic intelligence goals, but well... it
just sounds so... subversive.

Honey, could you pass the jam?"

> -> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net/
> Management Analytics - 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236

---
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information

Thread