1995-12-06 - Re: Geodesic Payment Systems? (was Re: Meeting notes from ANSI X.9 Meeting on Electronic Payment)

Header Data

From: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 34f1d4cbc59737c021932e46db36d3bfaa1420e75dacf7ae5644b1c9dc4b896a
Message ID: <199512062154.NAA20063@mage.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951206104553.24528A-100000@eskimo.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-06 21:53:18 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 13:53:18 PST

Raw message

From: Peter Monta <pmonta@qualcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 13:53:18 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Geodesic Payment Systems? (was Re: Meeting notes from ANSI X.9 Meeting on Electronic Payment)

Wei Dai writes:

> > [ infinite-cost risk ]

> The direct cost of a break-the-bank catastrophic failure is bounded by the
> amount of capital the bank has.  This is because the market will not
> accept more liabilities (real or forged) from the bank than its capital.
> There may be other indirect costs resulting from dislocations, but these
> should also be proportional to the size of the bank.  Therefore your
> argument is really against centralization and for diversification and
> distribution.

Why "the bank", rather than "all banks"?  If there is a single
cryptographic point of failure in a widely used ecash system,
it seems unlikely that diversity would buy you anything.  The
worry would not be the compromised keys of a single bank, but
rather, say, an effective cryptanalysis.  I would put this in
the supernova class; it may be just as unlikely.

Peter Monta

Thread