1995-12-25 - Re: Only accepting e-mail from known parties

Header Data

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
To: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Message Hash: 3fe55518cc2b2f48f46593ce4f7ee54d931d29e4a34f30deb67c0fe1e93afc86
Message ID: <199512251933.OAA14735@pipe8.nyc.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:06:04 +0800

Raw message

From: tallpaul@pipeline.com (tallpaul)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 04:06:04 +0800
To: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Subject: Re: Only accepting e-mail from known parties

How about one-time electronic stamps.

I generate a large-ish number of long-ish random numbers.

I store these into a data base on my system.

I send one e-stamp to all of the people I want to communicate with and vice
versa.

Each person uses the e-stamp in the header or some other area of their
message to me easily accessible to my mail bot.

My bot reads the e-stamp and then checks the data base to see if the stamp
is valid.

If not, then /dev/null. If so, then:

     a) send the message to me;
     b) delete the used e-stamp from the data base;
     c) send a confirmation of received message with a new e-stamp in it.

Thoughts? (I see one problem with this but it should be able to be worked
out once the basic method is agreed to).

--tallpaul

Thread