1995-12-12 - Re: Timing Attack Paper

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: gibo@ripco.com (Giles Bowkett)
Message Hash: 407b369ea4e6e1f7319a06471ffe180832dada3fae1cbe7f84ae2c71126301c8
Message ID: <199512121321.IAA02041@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <v01530501acf1028a30f2@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-12 17:27:58 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 01:27:58 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 01:27:58 +0800
To: gibo@ripco.com (Giles Bowkett)
Subject: Re: Timing Attack Paper

Giles Bowkett writes:
> http://www.cryptography.com/timingattack.html
>
> and found the whole thing to be totally incomprehensible from
> a layman's point of view.  I apologize for having not read
> "Applied Cryptography", which might have made the abstract a
> simpler read - but even if I had I'd have been baffled by a
> lot of the terminology and equations in this paper.

If you had read and understood Applied Cryptography you would
understand the paper. I'm sorry, but to paraphrase a smarter man than
I, there is no royal road to cryptography. You have to study it.

The only thing that can be said to a layman is that different keys
will require different amounts of times to deal with different texts
in certain public key systems, so by timing how long it takes to
perform operations you can get information about the keys.

Perry

Thread