1995-12-13 - Re: e-mail forwarding, for-pay remailers

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: gbroiles@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Message Hash: 41244411dbe41dfe56dae6bf2e5eb2c704698f4f2114222b29f5dc9aee93c057
Message ID: <01HYRJSUSFLS8Y4Z3G@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 07:30:23 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 07:30:23 +0800
To: gbroiles@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Subject: Re: e-mail forwarding, for-pay remailers

From:	IN%"gbroiles@darkwing.uoregon.edu"  "Greg Broiles" 13-DEC-1995 03:40:50.49

>I don't have much faith that the people who are currently doing the DNS
for my domain name (goldenbear.com) are going to do anything about the
current bouncing-messages phenomenon anytime soon, so I'm looking into other
ways to get & send E-mail (e.g., more persistent than this address which
will disappear when I'm done with school in ~ 6 months). I've found a few
services which may be of interest to C-punks because they're useful for
creating/maintaining persistent cyberspace identities with no necessary
connection to a "real name".

[...]

netbox.com ( http://www.netbox.com ) provides web pages and E-mail storage
or forwarding for people; they let you sign up for a trial month for free.
They ask for name/address/phone (which could easily be a Mailboxes Etc
address and a voicemail from Mailboxes Etc or whatever) and accept payment
by check or credit card. They'll store incoming email or forward it to
another account. They'll do header rewriting (similar to the anonymous
remailers) so that outgoing mail looks like it came from this address.
       There's one problem with this in regards to the "no necessary
connection," and that 's the governmental requirement for mail forwarding. MBE
and any legal other one will want to see at least two forms of ID including one
photo, and have a form that they fill out using that and send to the local
post office. Anyone have a way around this problem?
       -Allen

Thread