1995-12-17 - Re: Is ths legal?… (fwd)

Header Data

From: Jay Holovacs <holovacs@styx.ios.com>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 47c8eb53813e5c4f344dd9fb4a39df9f0c85ec052c3c18b85f22d78a273daa0a
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9512170951.A5895-0100000@styx.ios.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 23:18:24 +0800

Raw message

From: Jay Holovacs <holovacs@styx.ios.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 23:18:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Is ths legal?... (fwd)

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Declan B. McCullagh wrote:

> Exactly. If Oklahoma University is private, it can establish and enforce
> policies that would be unconstitutional at public schools. Those
> policies become part of the contract and a student must abide by them,
> except when they are administered arbitrarily and capriciously. At a
> public universities, students probably would have more freedom to
> challenge this policy.

Think about this principle in light of the current political climate
toward "privatization." Moves to privatize schools, prisons, even police
forces in a few communities. Sounds like a good way around all those
<pesky> constitutional protections.

> A recent article from the school's student newspaper says: >
> "In the third part, the policy states that the university reserves the
> right of access to user e-mail...

It seems to me that there is some legal status to email established by
Congress in the late '80s, especially that which comes in from outside
with 'some expectation' of privacy. I've got to rummage around for the
details however.

 Jay Holovacs <holovacs@ios.com>
PGP Key fingerprint =  AC 29 C8 7A E4 2D 07 27  AE CA 99 4A F6 59 87 90
 (KEY id 1024/80E4AA05) email for key

Thread