1995-12-22 - Re: ex encrypted script

Header Data

From: fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4a32975266abf26da2e220d9979021d6ce76c3abbe86a370b1f4af1ef19f8559
Message ID: <9512221147.AA06064@all.net>
Reply To: <199512220357.WAA02638@bioanalytical.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-22 11:51:43 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Dec 95 03:51:43 PST

Raw message

From: fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 95 03:51:43 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: ex encrypted script

> I once had to obfuscate an awk script.  "Cryptography is Economics."  My
> job was to make it difficult for the enemy to steal the source.  There
> was a license agreement...
>
> The simple answer of "no" is right in the strong sense, but there are
> tricks to make life difficult for the amateur attacker.
>
> My approach was a self-decrypting program.  The "real" script was
> encrypted within the body of the encasing script.  For increased
> obfuscation, decrypt only small pieces at a time.

There is another technique by which the source is obscured by an
automatic rewrite mechanism.  This provides for both obscuration of the
source and the ability to determine who originated illicit copies.  I
believe it was first implemented by Gimbel Software as part of their
C-terp system (unpublished).  A paper on techniques for doing this has
also been published:

	"Operating System Protection Through Program Evolution"
	Computers and Security - 1992? 3? (F. Cohen)

-> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net/
Management Analytics - 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236

Thread