1995-12-15 - Re: Fwd: Corporate Crime and CDT Funding on behalf of so-called medical privacy

Header Data

From: clarkm@cnct.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5ec3a2d600bcf3ccf3f6bb8c1b1bf1be0f90362353db3746f93c1cad081b3089
Message ID: <9512150734.AA0051@cnct-gw.new-york.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 15:19:17 +0800

Raw message

From: clarkm@cnct.com
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 15:19:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: Corporate Crime and CDT Funding on behalf of so-called medical privacy

Thanks (belatedly) for posting this, Russell.  Who was it said, "Follow the
money."  Great stuff.

For a good time, call the EFF about these folks.  For a better time, call
the ACLU.

It might be hilarious to make some inquiries around Stanford...  Maybe Rich
Graves can give us the poop.

Best,  Clark

Probably time someone wrote an expose of industry and cryptocrats "hacking"
public policy groups.  Wonder where one could PLAGIARIZE such tidbits?  ;-)

(apologies -- "plagiarize" is an inside joke for the filterslugs ;-)

//--- forwarded letter ---------------------------------------
> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 95 12:01:10 -0500
> From: JWRCLUM@aol.com
> To: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Fwd: Corporate Crime and CDT Funding on behalf of so-called
medical privacy

> [...]
> interests of certain segments of the computer,
> telecommunications, data processing and health-care industries."
>      "With this bill they would be able to careen full speed
> ahead to develop data networks that will give innumerable people
> access to our medical records legally and without our knowledge,"
> Nagel said.
>      "I am convinced that S. 1360 is not at all primarily
> concerned with the confidentiality of medical records," Nagel
> told the committee. "It is just the opposite. It talks about
> informed consent, but then authorizes the creation of databases
> without patient knowledge or consent. It talks about individual
> rights, and then allows police broad authority to search
> databases directly instead of obtaining a specific record from
> the patient's doctor. It talks about civil and criminal
> sanctions, and then pre-empts all common law and most existing
> and future state statutes. It talks about ensuring personal
> privacy with respect to medical records, and then sets a ceiling
> rather than a floor on medical confidentiality."
>
> AT A GLANCE: CENTER FOR DEMOCRACY AND TECHNOLOGY FUNDING, 1994-
> 1995
>
> American Advertising Federation         500.00
> America Online, Inc.                 25,000.00
> Apple Computer Inc.                  50,000.00
> AT&T                                 75,000.00
> Bell Atlantic                        60,000.00
> Business Software Alliance            6,000.00
> Cellular Tellecomm Indust Assn       10,000.00
> CompuServ                            30,000.00
> Delphi Internet Services Corp        10,000.00
> Direct Marketing Association          5,000.00
> Dunn & Bradstreet Corp               10,000.00
> EMA                                   5,000.00
> Equifax Inc.                          5,000.00
> John Gilmore                          2,500.00
> Hartford Foundation                 153,000.00
> IBM                                  25,000.00
> Information Technology Industry       5,000.00
> Interactive Digital Software          5,000.00
> Lotus                                 6,250.00
> MARC                                 80,000.00
> MCI Telecommunications               15,000.00
> Microsoft                           100,000.00
> National Cable Television Assn       15,000.00
> Netscape Communications Corp          5,000.00
> Newspaper Association of Am           5,000.00
> Nynex Government Affairs             25,000.00
> Pacific Telesis                      25,000.00
> Prodigy Service Company              10,000.00
> Software Publishers Assn             10,000.00
> Time Warner Inc                       5,000.00
> TRW Information Svcs                 10,000.00
> US Telephone Association             10,000.00
> US West Inc                          10,000.00
>
> Total Funding                        814,020.00
>
> Received 1994                        114,377.00
> Received 1995                        699,643.00
>
> Total Funding                        814,020.00

[big birdie follows]

      .---.        .----------- *     ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
     /     \  __  /    ------ *        clark.matthews@paranet.org
  //// / // :    : --- *                     PERMISSION TO
 \\/ / * / /`    '--*                        COPY / REPOST
       x-x-UU----UUx-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
           '//||\\`  N E M O..M E..I M P U N E..L A C E S S I T
       x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Thread