1995-12-10 - Re: Warning about Pegasus Mail and PGP (fwd)

Header Data

From: “Jeff Hupp” <jhupp@novellnet.gensys.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 656cf2500d8869ece18568b177271e381c2189317af9cbc8da2c1d77c720a9e9
Message ID: <3521BB467F3@Novellnet.Gensys.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 06:30:26 PST

Raw message

From: "Jeff Hupp" <jhupp@novellnet.gensys.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 06:30:26 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Warning about Pegasus Mail and PGP (fwd)

On 10 Dec 95 at 12:30, Anonymous wrote:

: On  9 Dec 95 at 21:43, Jeff Hupp wrote:
:
: > On  9 Dec 95 at 18:29, Siberia wrote:
:
: > : Okay, here's how I understand things with PGP and Pegasus.
: > : You have two  options with Pegasus depending on the set-up
: > : options you choose.  You can either send upon completion of
: > : your out-going email, or you can have your mail queued
: > : until you press the send out-going mail button.  The actual
: > : PGP process does not occur until you actually send the
: > : mail.  So the answer would be: don't queue your mail.
:
: > 	That's not really a solution in the Windows environment, if
: > you have a swap file, you never know what gets written out
: > to it.  The solution is run w/o a swap file or run an
: > encrypted file system.  I run an encrypted file system.
:
: Oh, PLEASE! Do you HAVE to go and mix up two completely
: different issues? Aren't the nontechnical people trying to
: follow these things likely to be confused enough without your
: adding to that confusion? For every person who really
: understands the technical issues there are probably a thousand
: or ten thousand who are just trying to *use* the stuff without
: stepping into a deep hole.
:
: An OS swap file is one kind of hole.  What Siberia is writing
: about is ANOTHER type of hole. If I wipe my swap file after
: each use of my machine and don't know that Pegasus is doing
: this, or think that because of what you wrote I'm no worse off,
: I've been done a serious disservice.]

	So, I shouldn't take the opportunity to tell those non-technical people
about the other "hole" they most likely have?  After all this only
effects Windows users and it is a problem with windows.

	Read what I wrote, I did not say the original post was in error about
not queuing mail and saw no reason to repeat what appears to be a fact.
And, if the non technical people don't know about the swap file
problem, and just assume that if they don't queue mail they are no
worse off then they have been don a serious disservice.

	BTY, did you check it out?  Or just take what you saw as an
opportunity to rant?

:
: > 	Pegasus will indeed save your key with your message in the
: > outgoing queue.  This is a problem with the design of
: > pegasus, not with the design of the add on encryptor.
:
: How about saying something USEFUL, like yes or no to the
: question of whether sending WITHOUT queueing will make any
: difference? How about agreeing that if David Harris hopes to
: provide a useful interface to external "encryptors" he will
: have to do something about this?  How about cc'ing David?
:
: Somebody else could as well point out that we're all full of
: crap because we don't use Amigas, and while he might have a
: point, it wouldn't be a very useful one.
:

	Yes, it would have been a WONDERFUL opportunity to drop a O/S v. O/S
troll on the list, notice I didn't.

	What I did do, was write up a problem description and mail it to David
Harris.  This based on the likelyhood that he doesn't read cypherpunks.

--
JHupp@gensys.com           |For PGP Public Key:
http://gensys.com          |finger jhupp@gensys.com

Thread