1995-12-25 - Re: Only accepting e-mail from known parties

Header Data

From: Jonathan Blake <grafolog@netcom.com>
To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Message Hash: 6c0b46a59aa365042c7d68f23c96912dc57929b44671da5b78c9d772b92ae66b
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951225091910.27577B-100000@netcom23>
Reply To: <199512251710.JAA08899@slack.lne.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-25 18:00:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 02:00:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Jonathan Blake <grafolog@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 02:00:27 +0800
To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Subject: Re: Only accepting e-mail from known parties

	Erik:

On Mon, 25 Dec 1995, Eric Murray wrote:

> > On Mon, 25 Dec 1995, Dr. Dimitri Vulis wrote:

> Ok.  If I want to get my email ad for the Ronco turnip-twaddler past a filter
> like that, all I need to do is to create a PGP key with
> a user name that's the same as one that the victim already
> receives.
>
> i.e. if I know that joe@blort.com exchanges email with phred@none.net, then
> I just create a PGP key with the name "phred@none.net", and sign
> the turnip-twaddler ad with that.  It'd have a valid signature, and
> one coming from Joe's friend phred.   Mail accepted.

	But will the signature match that of phred@none.net's PGP
	key.  I doubt it.

> In addition to checking for a valid signature, the filtering software
> would have to also check the PGP key id of the key used.  It would

	To check a signature, you need the public key the signature
	was created with.  You allready have phred@none.net's public
	key on your keyring.  If that key does not demonstrate an
	authentic signature for the messge, then the message is
	a fake.

	Now, if you assume that your keyring has been compromised,
	then you can also check the signatures of who signed the
	keys.  At a minimu, your signature should be on the authentic
	key.  If it is missing, then you can place the message in
	a "suspected to be forged bin", or just send it to dev/null,
	unread.

> also need to make sure that there is ONLY PGP-signed content in the
> mail.  Otherwise Mallet could grab an innocuous mail message that

	I hadn't thought of that, but here is one solution.

	Run a perl script that automatically deletes everything
	that is not signed by pgp, with the exception of the date,
	the sender, and the subject line.

> I'm sure there's other caveats, these are just the ones I can think of now.

	Let's figure out some more threat models.  And how to counter
	them.

	Man in the middle --- he has your public key, joe@none.net's
	public key, and access to both your pbulic ring, and
	joe@none.net public ring.   I don't know know how to counter
	this one using filters with perl --- yet.

        xan

        jonathon
        grafolog@netcom.com

	Opinions represented are not necessarilly mine.

	OTOH, they are not representations of any organization
	I am affiliated with, either.

	WebPage:	ftp://ftp.netcom.com/gr/graphology/home.html

          For a good prime, call 391581 * 2^216193 - 1